Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Couvrey's Arroz con Pollo

There are a few staple dishes my Dad made for my brother and I growing up. Goulash, crock-pot deliciousness, grilled chicken or steak or sausages, pork chops and apples...., and Arroz con Pollo, which is no doubt in my top three favorite dishes.

Over the years we've had many variations...sometimes throwing in pieces of ham, other times using the leftover tomato juice from the diced tomato can as part of the liquid. The other night we decided to throw in heirloom tomatoes instead of canned (best decision of the night), use vegetable stock and only cook dark meat. It was perfect.

Once the chicken sears the flour leftover in the pan leaves a beautiful roux that flavors the onions, tomatoes and garlic.

pro

This rice is de-lish. I honestly couldn't stop smelling the container....I love basmati rice and this brand (Rice Select Texmati Rice) is so fragrant!

Toasting away

Yep, that's me! Debuting as I put it into the oven..

In all honesty I wish it wasn't so addicting; it reminds me of the paella my Senora used to make when I was in Spain...crispy olive oil infused rice is something else.

Saffron absolutely makes the dish- all you need is a tiny bit and it gives the most wonderful flavor and color.


Couvrey's Arroz con Pollo

makes 4 hefty servings

1/4 cup olive oil
flour to dredge
4 small thighs
4 small drumsticks

1 cup diced tomatoes
3/4 cup diced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced

1 1/4 cups Basmati Rice
1 cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 1/2 cup water
2 pinches Saffron (or about 1/2 t.)
salt and pepper to taste


1. Dry chicken and season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour (we use a produce plastic bag from the grocery store and shake it up..less mess)
2. Heat olive oil in a hefty shallow pan on med-high heat and brown chicken. Once browned remove and place onto a paper towel lined plate to rest (the chicken is not cooked through at this point)
3. Turn heat to medium and cook onion for 5 minutes. Throw in the garlic and cook another minute and then add the tomatoes and cook until they're soft.
4. Measure the rice into the pan and toast for a few minutes before adding the stock and water. Cook the rice a few minutes until is starts to lightly boil.
5. Place chicken evenly into pan on top of rice and sprinkle with saffron and salt/pepper to taste.
6. Cover with lid and place into a 350 oven for 45 min- 1 hour or until rice is done.

1 comment:

teeeeeeg said...

reminds me of the book concept, and this would totally be in it!